Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Marvelous Adventures Continue – Part 4: Dinner at The Bear

Sunday, July 2, dawned extremely early. Another darkless night.

I read in the paper today (Sunday the 9th) that sunrise is 4:52 a.m. and sunset is 9:54. I'm used to things getting light when the sun comes up and getting dark when the sun goes down. Not this light-around-the-clock stuff.

Anyway, the kids slept well last night, and we all slept a little later this morning. Steve and I walked 10 minutes down the street to the news agent for a paper and when I returned home I discovered I bought a paper from Thursday. Duh. I read it anyway. Without a TV, any diversion is welcome.

Steve decided Mom needed an authentic English pub experience, so we went to dinner at The Bear. We ordered inside and ate outside in the garden. It was hot weather, so sitting outside where we could catch a breeze was nice. Steve ordered the lamb roast, but they were out, so he ended up having roast beef, same as me. I ordered Mom a Steak & Ale pie and she loved it! I loved it too! I think I've found my favorite British food. Well, that and scones and clotted cream, lemonade (not like ours), ginger beer, and Fanta.

The kids got another bath because they get so hot and sticky during the day. Audrey is having some heat rash on her shoulders and neck areas. I'm going to break out the baby powder soon for her and Julie. Julie's little squashed neck needs attention.

I'm signing off so I can go work on the leg of lamb roast we're going to have for dinner. Hopefully I can write more and post more tonight.

Next: Appointments galore!

1 comment:

Dr. Bubba said...

So have you guys looked for a church yet? :)

Y'all seemed determined to try lamb. If you like it then the good news might be that the USA has some of the best lamb. :) Since I have never really cared for it I cannot say but several Brits and a couple of Kiwis have said that the USA has very good lamb..some of the best they have ever had. Not bad coming from a Kiwi especially.

I do not recommend trying lamb burgers though.
:( Hopefully the Brits do not serve this which the Kiwis did.

So is pies your favorite British food or the
Steak and Ale pie particularly. :)

So do they have more than one flavor of Fanta over there...that is the real question?

BTW have a look on some 7-UP and see if it says
lemonade. Anything "like" 7-UP, Sprite, and so forth is lemonade in NZ. "Lemon Squash" or the like is like American lemonade.

So how is the authentic fish and chips over there?

Oh I see you have not gotten in the hang of saying nappies instead of diapers.

Take care...love
The Adamses