Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Obviously Not *That* Embarrassed

This is actually from Monday.

I'm *so* embarrassed!

We went to Sears today and picked up the Kenmore vacuum cleaner that we bought online Saturday night. "Why Kenmore?" you may ask. Well, it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. And I'm still inclined to blindly believe anything they print, even after the baby seat debacle.

Anyway, this vacuum is supposed to be really good. I read numerous reviews where people talked about how long they had to vacuum a particular room before the "Intelli-Clean" dirt sensor thing finally turned green, meaning "no dirt is being sucked up into this vacuum any longer."So we get home, Steve crashes, and Caleb & Audrey "help" me assemble the vacuum. No problem. At 5:00, I'm ready to begin my vacuuming of the living room.

I'm thinking that it will be a couple of minutes on each small section before the sensor goes from RED to AMBER to GREEN. I vacuumed a 5x5 foot area for 15 minutes and it was still on red. The kids were screaming with delight and playing "jump the vacuum" while I was going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth with this 20+ pound thing. Is there such a thing as vacuum shoulder (like tennis elbow)?

I finally let the vacuum just sit in one spot and run. It takes about half a minute to go from red to green. Then I move it 4 inches in another direction and it's all red again. Yikes. My floor was dirty.I guess to be honest, it's still dirty. I vacuumed up the big stuff and stopped my quest for green at 5:45. I figured I'd stop when I couldn't hear anything being sucked up into the vacuum, and then start again tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how many days it takes to get this carpet clean enough that no more dirt is being registered by the vacuum as being sucked up.

But it's a cool vacuum. When it goes from RED/AMBER to AMBER/AMBER (there are 2 amber lights) to AMBER (just 1) to GREEN, the power level automatically shifts and it sucks less. Make sense? The headlight also gets brighter as the levels move towards green. That's backwards. You need more light to see all the crap you're trying to suck up.

I'm going to sign off now and indulge my morbid curiosity about Britney Spears' new shaved head. I know, I'm a few days behind the news.

No comments: