Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Hate 3 a.m.

Especially when 3 different critters feel the need to come into our room and talk to us 4 different times.

1 - 3:04 a.m. - Audrey: "Mommy, I had another bad dream." Me: thinking very slowly...don't want her in bed with me..."I'll walk you to your room, tuck you in, and we'll pray that the bad dreams don't return."

That done, I return to bed.

2 - 3:06 a.m. - Gray Cat: "Meow. Meeeoooow. Rowr." sharpens claws on our box springs to make sure she has our attention "Meeeeooooww." Me: "Steve, it's your turn." Steve: "What does she want?" Me: "Probably outside. The cat door is closed."

That done, Steve returns to bed.

3 - 3:14 a.m. - Caleb: "Mom, I'm hungry." Me: thinking a bit more clearly now...he needs some food because he threw up twice yesterday afternoon and fell asleep without supper "Ok. Come with me." Oyster crackers and Sprite. Me: "Eat these slowly. Drink this slowly. Turn the light off when you're done."

That done, I return to bed.

4 - 3:17 a.m. - Audrey: "Mommy, my nose is stuffed up on both sides." Me: "Get a tissue and blow." thinking...I don't want to get out of bed to get her more medicine. I wonder if she can reach it up on the kitchen counter. She can if she drags a chair over there. But what if she makes enough noise to wake up Julie? Audrey: "I blew but nothing came out." Me: "Come on. I'll get you some medicine."

Medicine administered, I tell Caleb not to eat all the salt left over at the end of the oyster crackers, he says he's finished, I send the kids back to bed, turn off the lights, and I return to bed.

So when the alarm goes off at 6 a.m., I think it's 4 a.m. and turn it off. I wake up 40 minutes later and Steve gets into the shower. Don't worry - he wasn't late for work.

3 comments:

Laura said...

3am at our house was greeted with John crying out and Aaron asking me, "Will you go? I have to go to work tomorrow morning." He was right and I went to comfort John who was asleep by 3:15, but I'm with you--3am is for sleeping parents!

Gina said...

3 am at my house was quiet last night, now 2:34 was a major leg cramp, which threw me out of bed screaming and resulted in Anthony replying... Did your water break?
then once we fell back asleep I quietly suferred through another @ 4:15 am in the other leg!

Liz said...

I was up at 3 AM watching The Tudors that night. (good show, but pretty risque. Like, grown woman fast-forwarding through the dirty parts risque) When do I go from being up voluntarily to being pulled out of bed kicking and screaming? :) Probably has something to do with children I suspect.