How Do You Spell DORK?
A-P-R-I-L
Yes, I am a dork. After I made the last post, the rain stopped. So I grabbed both girls, put them in the stroller, and we were off! The sun came out, it was getting warmer, so I thought we would make a stop at the Post Office and the grocery store.
So we walked to the Post Office (no rain), mailed 5 letters (no rain), then walked to the grocery store across the street (still no rain). We were in the store about 15 minutes where we placed an order for Caleb's b-day cake. Aside: he chose a Spiderman cake for his Ninja Turtle party. Huh? Anyway, we got 2 Sprites, a Diet Coke and a pack of Oreo snacks for the kids before we left.
We left the store to find it sprinkling a bit. No big deal. I had brought rain jackets/windbreakers for me and the big kids and the rain cover for one of our other strollers to somehow rig to use over Audrey and Julie in the new stroller. So I got us all sorted and decided that we were going to walk about 2 blocks to the library and stop there for a while to get out of the sprinkling rain. We got past the grocery store and I heard what I thought was just hard and fast rain on the metal roof of the building across the street from us. It's actually a complex of storage units and it's set pretty far back from the street, so it took a couple of minutes to figure out that it wasn't rain but HAIL making that noise.
We ran for it! The next place away from the grocery store was a little shopping center that has covered walkways and that was our goal. Poor Caleb - his hood blew back and he got nailed by several pieces of hail on his little shaved head. No hood or hair to cushion the blow. He cried a few genuine tears over that. But his Oreos quickly made all well. We stayed at this place for a little while until the hail passed and the heavy rain accompanying it also passed, then we trucked it over to the library in a light sprinkle.
We stayed at the library for about an hour and the 2 big kids both got books - Audrey checked out 3 "Olivia" books (Olivia is a little pig who is like Audrey in every way except her species) and Caleb got 4 superhero books (2 Superman, 1 Teen Titans, and 1 X-Men for those of you who care). Julie just wandered around saying, "Book! Book!" but thankfully not pulling any off the shelves. She *did* find the chunky toddler books and had fun with a Barney book that had a non-working microphone attached to it. She kept holding it up to her ear saying, "Hi! Hi!"
As we were heading to check our books out, a friend of mine saw us with the stroller and asked if we were afoot. When I said, "Yes" with an of-course-I'm-a-dork look on my face, she offered to give us a ride. So we loaded into her SUV - Caleb in a regular seat, Audrey in a booster, stroller (not folded up because I don't know how yet) in the back and Julie and I sitting shotgun. She drove slowly the 2 blocks home and deposited us at the homestead.
We are all a little chilly and damp around the edges but we're home.
And I got to use my new stroller.
The stroller from the side. It's red like "Ruby the Red Fairy" - Audrey's favorite audio book. Today she got mad at me because I said "Wuby the Wed Faiwy" in imitation of her (to Mom on the phone) and she yelled: "It's not 'Wuby the Wed Faiwy' it's 'Wuby the Wed Faiwy'!" We had a nice laugh about that one, but not where Audrey could hear.

No comments:
Post a Comment